Academic, Administrative, and Other Buildings

Baugh Center for the Visual Arts houses classrooms, offices, and gallery space for the Department of Art.  Constructed in 2012, its name honors the memory of Eula Mae and John Baugh, whose family foundation made the lead gift for the building.

Bawcom Student Union Building was named in honor of former president Dr. Jerry Bawcom.  Completed in 2014, this 110,000 square foot building interlocks with Crusader Stadium and offers an assortment of dining areas, campus store, Student Life offices, Baptist Student Ministries, rooms for UMHB band programs, and multi-functional rooms, including the McLane Great Hall. 

C.R. Clements Building was built in 1981, thanks to a gift from Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth Kirkpatrick in honor of Mr. C.R. Clements.  The building was renovated in 2001 and houses offices for Development as well as for Communications and Special Projects. An addition of 4,000 square feet was completed in March 2016 along with renovations to the existing building.

Cru Community Clinic previously housed the Baptist Student Ministry.  The building was completely renovated in Summer 2019.  It now houses a combined interprofessional community clinic for Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Counseling.

Curtis Mansion is undergoing renovations to house the Campus Planning and Support Services Division.  The structure was originally built in 1902 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Davidson Educational Building was made possible through a gift from the estate of C.J. “Red” Davidson.  Constructed in 1983, the complex provides classrooms, computer facilities, and office space for Computer Science and Engineering, English, and Modern Foreign Languages.

Engineering Design Building was completed in Summer 2019 and  accommodates space for classrooms, labs, offices, and meeting spaces for the Engineering program.  The facility includes four “smart” classrooms, a digital design lab that can double as a classroom, an electronics lab, a conference room, a student lounge, and a large fabrication workshop where students can test their designs by building them, using wood, metal, plastics, and other materials.

Frazier Hall,  built in 1960, provides offices for various functions, to include graduate school admissions, food services administration, and Strength and Conditioning coaches.

Hardy Hall was named in honor of former president Dr. J.C. Hardy; the building was constructed in 1929.  It was renovated in 2015 for our Doctor of Physical Therapy program which contains classrooms, offices, and labs.  An addition was completed in 2019 to house the Master of Science in Occupational Therapy program and Master of Science in Physician Assistant Program.

Heard Hall is the oldest building on campus.  Constructed in 1919, it was originally used as a women’s residence hall from approximately 1919 to 1960.  The building served as the administration building for a short time and currently houses academic offices.

Isabelle Rutherford Meyer Nursing Education Center was completed in 2012 and dedicated in February 2013.  The building houses faculty offices, classrooms, and simulation laboratories for UMHB’s Scott and White School of Nursing.  The lead gift for the building was contributed by the Paul and Jane Meyer Family Foundation, and the building is named for Paul Meyer’s mother, who during her lifetime worked as both a nurse and a teacher.

Mabee Student Success Center was made possible by a grant from the J.E. and L.E. Mabee Foundation.  Built in 1973, the building was expanded in 1995.  The building was renovated from 2014 to 2015.  The building contains: University Police, Post Office, Mabee Market, Cru Card and Copy Services, Career Services, Writing Center, International Student Services, Center for Global Engagement, Center for Academic Excellence, ROTC, Robert and Linda Black Center for Counseling, Counseling and Testing Services, and Health Center.

Parker Academic Center is a multipurpose facility housing classrooms, offices, and student labs for the College of Education and the McLane College of Business.  The facility was completed in the summer of 2002 and is named in honor of Dr. Bobby E. Parker, former UMHB President.

Parker House is named in honor of former president and chancellor Dr. Bobby E. Parker and his wife Marietta, by the donor, Mrs. JoAn Musick-Flowers.  In 1989, the residence opened and is where the Parkers resided until Dr. Parker assumed the role of chancellor in 1991. Dr. Jerry Bawcom and his wife, Vicky, were the last president and first lady to live in the house.  When Dr. Bawcom became chancellor in 2009 and moved to a home off campus, the house was remodeled and converted into the Musick Alumni Center and Museum.

Paul and Jane Meyer Christian Studies Center was made possible by a gift from Paul and Jane Meyer and was completed in the summer of 2008.  This building contains offices, classrooms, a library, and a chapel for the College of Christian Studies.

President’s Home was built in 2009 as the campus home for the UMHB first family.  Dr. Randy O’Rear and his wife, Julie, were the first president and first lady to live in the home.

Presser Hall was made possible by a gift from the Presser Foundation and contains studios, practice rooms, and faculty offices for the Department of Music, as well as Hughes Recital Hall named in memory of J.K. and Annie Hughes.  The building was constructed in 1929.  The recital hall was refurbished in 1979 through a generous gift made by Raymond L. Dillard and Genevieve Hughes Dillard (Class of ’31).

Sanderford Administrative Complex, named in memory of the parents of T.E. Sanderford, was made possible by a substantial gift from Mr. and Mrs. T.E. Sanderford.  Built in 1979, the complex houses the administrative offices of the university, including the Registrar’s Office, Admissions and Recruiting, Cashiers, and Financial Aid.  Renovations to the building were made in 1997, and a two-story addition was completed in 2007.

Sue and Frank Mayborn Performing Arts Center was completed in 2017.  The facility is designed to double as an academic building and a performance venue. The centerpiece of the facility is a 524-seat theater, complete with orchestra pit, fly space, and proscenium stage.

Townsend Memorial Library, named for Dr. and Mrs. E.G. Townsend, contains approximately 150,000 volumes, including bound periodicals and microfilm, and receives over 4,500 current periodicals and newspapers.  The fully automated library has access to the Internet, electronic journals (more than 3,500 of which are full-text), and numerous electronic databases.  This building was constructed in 1961 and remodeled in 1994.

J.W. Williams Service Center is located on the northern edge of the campus, at 800 Industrial Park Road.  The building is named for J.W. Williams, who served as maintenance supervisor for the campus from 1936 to 1941 and from 1948 to 1977.  This property was purchased in September 2012 and renovations were completed in September 2013.  This facility now houses offices and shops for the Physical Plant staff and for custodial services.

Wells Science Hall, named for former president Dr. E.H. Wells, was constructed in 1920.  It is devoted to classrooms, laboratories, and offices for Mathematics and Physics, undergraduate Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, and Criminal Justice.  The building was renovated in 1996, 2001, and 2013.

W.W. Walton Chapel was completed in the spring of 1967.  Named for donor W.W. Walton of Bartlett, the building serves as a chapel and an auditorium.  The Chapel was remodeled in 2003.

York House supports the Office of English as a Second Language.

York Science Center, named in memory of longtime faculty member Dr. C.L. York, provides offices, classrooms, and laboratories for the Biology and Chemistry departments and also contains the Anne Ammons Brindley Auditorium.  The building was completed in 1996.