Admission of International Graduate Students

Note: All forms must be completed in English.

      All monies must be in U.S. dollars.


All International Students applying for Admission to the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor must:

  1. Submit completed online International Application. All academic documents must be submitted before an admission decision will be given, and all other documents must be submitted before an I-20 can be issued.
  2. Submit a notarized Affidavit of Educational Support (I-134) showing the availability of funds to finance student’s education and transportation both to school and back to student’s home country. A signed letter of support may be substituted for the affidavit. The letter should state the relationship of the sponsor to the applicant and specify exactly what expenses are covered. Documentation is required. All money amounts must be stated in U.S. dollars.
  3. Submit official transcripts or diplomas from all schools, colleges, and universities previously attended. If the student has attended United States colleges/universities, the official transcripts must be mailed directly from the college/university to the Graduate Admissions Office. All transcripts, certificates, or diplomas from institutions outside the United States must be sent to an approved evaluation service for a course by course evaluation by the date required by the Graduate Admissions Office. A copy of the results should be sent directly to University of Mary Hardin-Baylor Graduate Admissions Office from the evaluation service.  Transcripts from other institutions which have been submitted for admission or evaluation become part of the student's academic file and are not returned or copied for distribution.
  4. Submit a copy of the passport identification page. Passport must show validity at least 6 months from the expected date of enrollment.
  5. Submit the following fees (in U.S. dollars): $135 Application Fee (Not refundable). The application will not be processed until the application fee is paid.

When all of the above items have been received from the student, action will be taken by the Office of International Student Services. An I-20 form cannot be issued until the student has been accepted into a graduate program at UMHB.

The university reserves the right to change its tuition fees, and other costs at any time. 


A student may be admitted to a UMHB Graduate Program in one of the following ways:
  1. Regular Admission
  • Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • TOEFL SCORES: At least 60 (iBT) overall with at least 15 in each band

IELTS SCORES: At least 4.5 in each band

     2. Probationary Admission
  • Have a cumulative GPA between 2.7-2.99
  • TOEFL SCORES: At least 60 (iBT) overall with at least 15 in each band

IELTS SCORES: At least 4.5 in each band

PTE SCORES: At least 38 overall


Probationary Admission

After official transcripts, transcript evaluation and program documentation are received, an applicant not meeting the university standards of a 3.0 GPA may be admitted if he/she shows evidence of an ability to successfully participate in graduate study as determined by the graduate program to which he/she is applying with a minimum of a 2.70 GPA. A probationary status student may take no more than nine hours of graduate work during any semester of attendance until the probationary status has been removed. Students enrolled in graduate programs consisting of two-hour courses may only enroll in eight hours of graduate work during this time. If grades of “B” or better are earned for all graduate courses, the probationary status will be removed. Failure to earn a "B" or better in all graduate courses will result in academic dismissal from the graduate program.


Once accepted for admission, all international students are required to:

  1. Submit completed Student Medical History (available on website), including validated copy of shot records showing a meningitis vaccination (Menactra) and negative tuberculosis test result.
  2. For students from countries identified as "TB High Risk" as published by the World Health Organization: submit validation of a negative TB skin test and/or report of negative (normal) chest x-ray - must be no more than within 6 months prior to initial enrollment.

General Academic Requirements

Students who are seeking a master’s degree, doctoral degree, licensure, or certification in an approved program offered by UMHB will be considered for admission. Students will be allowed to continue in enrollment only if they maintain good academic progress (a 3.0 U.S. Grade Point Average). At the discretion of UMHB, students not meeting minimum standards may be enrolled in additional English as Second Language classes.


This U.S. Immigration Student Eligibility form will be issued only after all conditions of the application process have been met. The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor is an academic school, and no I-20 will be issued to any student for the sole purpose of aiding the student in avoiding military service in his/her home country.


The major international airport serving Central Texas is the Dallas/Fort-Worth International Airport. Commuter flights are available from this international airport to the local airports in Killeen (30 miles from campus) and Austin (50 miles from campus). Cab and/or bus transportation may be obtained from these airports to Belton.


Students are encouraged to carry travelers checks or cashier’s checks. Money may be deposited in a local bank. Advanced fees, tuition, as well as room and board must be paid in U.S. dollars or negotiable instruments.

Payment of Accounts

All international students must preregister for any succeeding semester, and their account must be paid in full by the close of business on the Friday after the normal registration period. Failure of the student to pay will result in the student not being allowed to register. If this should happen, both the U.S. Immigration Service and the consulate of the student’s home country will be notified.

English Competency

International students applying to graduate programs are eligible for ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes. Students must submit a TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score as part of the application. The minimum TOEFL score to enter regular academic classes is at least 100 (iBT) with at least 25 in each category. Students submitting IELTS scores of at least 7 in each category may enter regular academic classes. Students submitting PTE scores of at least 68 overall may enter regular academic classes. Students who do not meet these testing requirements will be enrolled in ESOL classes before beginning the graduate program.

Mail all Correspondence to:

University of Mary Hardin-Baylor

Director of International Student Services

UMHB Box 8367

900 College Street

Belton, Texas 76513