Second Degree

Once a degree has been conferred by the University, the academic record pertaining to that degree is frozen.  No additional coursework may be taken to apply toward that degree.  Additional majors/minors/concentrations cannot be added retroactively to a conferred degree.  GPA's associated with a conferred degree cannot be changed retroactively.   

Additional coursework may be taken in a non-degree-seeking status or to apply toward a second degree.  Students seeking a second degree from the University must fulfill all requirements for the second degree, including the core curriculum, as well as complete additional semester hours in residence equal to one-fourth of the total semester hours required for the second degree.  As most degrees require 124 total semester hours, the additional semester hours in residence typically would be 31 semester hours.  These additional semester hours in residence must be distinct from the first degree.  In other words, the additional semester hours in residence for the second degree cannot be counted toward any requirements for the first degree. These guidelines apply to students who are seeking two degrees concurrently and alumni returning for a second degree.