Financial Information


The following fees are established by the Board of Trustees of the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. Fees are reviewed annually or as the need arises. A new fee schedule is normally established June 1st of each year.

Admission Fee

Applicants are required to pay a non-refundable application fee ($35 U.S. Students/$135 International Students). This fee does not apply toward tuition and is paid only once. Transcript evaluations will be performed after admission application to the University has been completed and the admission fee has been paid.


Graduate — $985 per semester hour

Doctoral — $1040 per semester hour

Other Required Fees

General Service — $60 per semester hour

Technology Fee — $25 per hour
Transportation Fee — $50 per semester (Fall and Spring)

Replacement Vehicle Tag — $15 per hour
Replacement Student ID — $10

Special Fees

Graduation — $75 Graduate; $90 Doctoral

(Filing for degree late – additional $25; refiling for degree – additional $30)

Non-Scheduled Exam - $40

Removal of “I” (Incomplete) grade - $25

Returned Check Fee - $30

Late Payment Fee - $50 per month

Schedule Reinstatement Fee - $100

Trip Fees

Courses that have a trip component associated with them will also have a trip fee assessed to cover costs associated with travel.  Trips range from weekend camping trips to semester long international study abroad opportunities.  Trip deposits and trip fees are non-refundable.  Please refer to the course instructor for more information on trips and trip fees.

Course Fees

A course or lab fee may be required for certain courses and is in addition to the Tuition charges for the course. It is used to support courses requiring specialized materials, equipment and/or a specialized environment.  A list of course fees can be found on the Bursar’s Webpage, under billing information.

Inclusive Access Fees

An inclusive access fee may be assessed for certain courses.  An inclusive access fee indicates that the required course materials are included and covered by this fee.  Students have access to course materials on first day of course and no prior purchase is required.  Students have the opportunity to opt-out of the inclusive access fee during the first five days of the start of the semester.

Financial Settlement

Account statements are available on MyCampus ( 24/7. Paper statements are not mailed.  Prior to the start of each semester, students are required to Confirm Your Registration using MyCampus.  During the Confirm Your Registration process, students identify how they intend to financially settle account charges for the upcoming semester as well as agree to all terms and conditions of registration.

Settlement dates are established and communicated each semester.  Tuition, fees, and room & board charges are due by August 1 for the Fall semester and December 15 for the Spring semester.  Tuition, fees, and room & board charges are due by the first day of the term for summer and all other terms.  Students receiving any type of financial aid (scholarships, grants, loans, campus work programs, etc.) must complete all financial aid documents by the due date each semester or at the time of registration if the due date has passed. Corrections, adjustments, and / or charges associated with schedule changes after the settlement date are due and payable at that time.

Payments may be made on the MyCampus site with a credit card - Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover (credit card convenience fees of 2.75% will apply) or E-Check. No payments are accepted over the telephone.  For any check or e-check not honored by a bank, a returned check fee of $30 will be charged and check writing privileges on campus may be revoked.

Books and other supplies are generally not included on student account bills.  Students should have funds available for these expenses.   Students with excess financial aid can use a book voucher for textbook purchases at the UMHB Campus Store.

Exclusive arrangements have been made with Nelnet to offer a monthly payment plan option.  The monthly payment program is not a loan and bears no interest. An enrollment fee of $40 per semester enables the payer to make 4 or 5 equal payments to cover projected semester costs. The first payment for the Fall semester is due by July 10 (if electing 5 payments) or August 10 (if electing 4 payments), but the program may be entered into later by including all previously due payments with the enrollment fee. The first payment for the Spring semester is due by December 10 (if electing 5 payments) or January 10 (if electing 4 payments).  Life insurance which covers the unpaid contract amount is included with this enrollment  fee.

The payment plan budget is determined by subtracting all financial aid (including scholarships, grants, campus work, if applied to account balance, and loans) from the total of tuition, fees, and room and board. Books, commuter meal plans and other personal expenses may not be budgeted and must be paid for at the time they are incurred. Students may call Nelnet toll free at 1-800-609-8056 or contact via the web at to assist in calculating monthly payment requirement. If a student is dropped from the monthly payment plan due to nonpayment, the balance owed on the student’s account will become due immediately.

UMHB will not release transcripts until all accounts have been settled and paid in full. The University also reserves the right to withhold a student’s access to campus services, including MyCampus, MyCourses and UMHB email, and to restrict a student’s participation in university events, including commencement, for failure to make complete payment of a student account. Additionally, UMHB may administratively withdraw a student for failure to demonstrate proper responsibility in the handling of financial matters as related to the University.

UMHB utilizes the UMHB Sadermail account as the official means of communicating account notices to students. It is the student's responsibility to periodically check their Sadermail account.

Accounts that are not financially settled after the first day of each semester will have a financial hold placed on the account.  This hold prevents the release of student’s transcript as well as prevents registration for future classes.

Late Payment Fee


Payments are due by August 1 for the Fall semester, and December 15 for the Spring semester. Summer and Minimester due dates are posted each term on the Bursar's website and in the financial notices sent to students upon registration.Students who are not enrolled and current in the payment plan or who do not have an approved third party payment arrangement will be assessed a late payment fee of $50 per month. 

For students enrolled in the payment plan, if equal monthly payments are not sufficient to equally cover account balance by the last payment due date for the semester enrolled, the late payment fee may still be assessed to the student’s account each month. Please verify monthly payments to Nelnet will be sufficient to cover the outstanding balance.

This non-refundable fee will be assessed each month thereafter until the account is paid in full or student is administratively withdrawn.


Collection Costs

The student will remain responsible for all unpaid balances incurred. In the event an account becomes delinquent and is placed with an outside agency for collection, all collection costs and/or legal fees will be the responsibility of the student.

Schedule Cancellations

A cancellation occurs when a student decides not to attend the University prior to the first day of classes of that term per the published University academic calendar.  Cancellations must be in writing or by email to the Registrar’s Office prior to the first day of classes for the semester. If the student has a housing assignment, the student must also contact the Residence Life Office in person or in writing to inform them that they will not be attending. For cancellations, all tuition, fees, and room & board will be refunded at 100%. Financial aid for the term is cancelled and returned to the programs.  A student's schedule cannot be cancelled on or after the first day of classes.

Administrative Withdrawal

The university reserves the right to withdraw a student from classes and/or the university if the student’s account is delinquent or if such action is deemed in the best interest of the student and/or the university. Students who are administratively withdrawn are subject to the refund and withdrawal policies of the University.

Recorded grades for students who are administratively withdrawn will be W, WP, WQ, NC or F. The grade will depend on the time of withdrawal and the student’s grade at that time or the circumstances causing the withdrawal. Depending on the circumstances of the withdrawal, an application may be required for readmission.

Refund Policy

Once the semester begins, registration in the University is considered a contract binding the student for charges for the entire academic period. However, a student may find it necessary to make schedule changes once the semester begins.

Added courses are billed full tuition and fee rate currently in effect regardless of when the student registers for the course.

Dropped courses are refundable according to the refund terms and schedule in effect for the current semester.

Tuition — Tuition refunds, when approved, will be granted according to the following schedule:

Fall or Spring (16 week) semester:

             100% refund of tuition, associated general service fee, and associated technology fee prior to expiration of 4th semester day, (4 calendar days) scheduled from the first day of the start of the semester*.

             80% refund of tuition prior to expiration of first 2 weeks, (14 calendar days) scheduled from first day of start of semester*

             60% refund of tuition prior to expiration of first 3 weeks, (21 calendar days) scheduled from first day of start of semester*

             40% refund of tuition prior to expiration of first 4 weeks, (28 calendar days) scheduled from first day of start of semester*

             No tuition refunds will be made after the end of the 28th calendar day, counted from the first day of the semester*. Refunds for courses other than regular day classes will be prorated.

*The start of the semester as published in the University Calendar

Beyond these dates, a student who drops a course because of excessive class non-attendance, poor academic performance, or similar causes, who withdraws without notice, or who is expelled and / or administratively withdrawn is not entitled to a refund. Failure to attend class or simply notifying an individual instructor will not be regarded as an official withdrawal.

Financial aid recipients who drop classes resulting in a change in enrollment status (full-time, part-time) from status at time of financial aid award may be subject to a reduction in institutional aid.  This reduction in aid may result in student owing UMHB for the returned institutional aid.  Please consult with UMHB’s Bursar’s Office or Financial Aid Office to understand this impact prior to adding or dropping a course.

Summer terms:

             Please refer to the Tuition Refund section on the Bursar's webpage, for the complete Tuition Refund schedule for summer terms. Due to the accelerated nature of many summer courses, the tuition refund schedule will also follow a more accelerated schedule. 

Fees — No refunds are available on general service fee, technology fee, or other required or special fees except as indicated during the 100% refund period.

Room & Board— No refunds are available on room & board charges since housing is contracted for an entire academic period.

Room Deposit —Unless refunded prior to initial occupancy in accordance with policies in the Guide to Campus Housing, the room deposit constitutes a permanent room deposit for as long as the student resides in university housing. The fee is refundable when a student ceases residency in university owned housing provided the student’s room is clean and undamaged and the student has followed the required steps to notify Residence Life and withdraw from campus housing.  The student must submit a room deposit refund request, in writing, to the Residence Life/Housing Office in the Student Development Department prior to June 1. If student has an outstanding balance on student account or other residential fines, room deposit will be applied to that balance prior to issuing refund.

A student who moves into university housing and subsequently moves out prior to the end of a semester forfeits the campus housing deposit.

Withdrawing From the University

Students who must withdraw from the University before the expiration of the semester or session for which they are enrolled must complete the official Withdrawal Form in the Registrar’s Office and secure the approval of the Business Office. University housing students must also secure the approval of the Dean of Students before withdrawing from the University.

The federal government mandates that students who withdraw from all classes may only keep the financial aid they have earned up to the time of withdrawal.  If a student withdraws or stops attending classes before 60% of a semester is completed, a portion of Title IV funds must be returned in accordance with U.S. Department of Education regulations.  In addition, if a student fails to earn a passing grade in at least one class during the semester, the student is deemed by the U.S. Department of Education to have unofficially withdrawn.  Title IV funds that were disbursed in excess of the earned amount must be returned by the University. This situation could result in the student owing aid funds to UMHB, government or both.

To determine the amount of aid the student has earned up to the time of withdrawal, the Bursar’s Office will do a Return of Title IV (R2T4) calculation. The Bursar’s Office will notify and provide instructions to students who are required to return funds to the government.  If the student disputes the withdrawal date used in this calculation, the student must provide evidence of participation in an academically related activity after 60% of the semester to avoid return of Title IV funds. The University’s R2T4 Policy can be found at of Title IV funds.

Students are encouraged to understand the financial impact of withdrawal prior to completing the withdrawal process. The Bursar’s Office can assist the student in understanding this policy and the resulting financial impact.

In addition to federal aid returns, a student may be required to repay institutional aid funds to UMHB, based on tuition refund percentage, i.e. Students receiving 80% tuition refund will repay 80% of the institutional aid.)

Students should also be aware that as a recipient of financial assistance, they must comply with the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy. By withdrawing, a student, may not be eligible for financial assistance from UMHB in the future, due to not completing a specified number of credit hours for which aid was disbursed.

A student who withdraws is immediately eligible to apply for readmission except that:

1.            A student on academic suspension due to receipt of WQs for withdrawn courses cannot be readmitted until one Spring or Fall semester has passed; and

2.            A student may be disqualified for readmission for disciplinary reasons.


Exit Counseling

UMHB takes seriously its responsibility to counsel students with regard to debt and its financial impact.  To that end, UMHB offers financial counseling (which is also a federal requirement of the Department of Education).   This counseling (also referred to as Exit Counseling) is coordinated through the Office of Financial Aid and is completed online.  Exit counseling helps students understand their rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower and provides useful tips and information to help students manage their loans.

Students in certain circumstances are required to take advantage of financial counseling. 

             Students who are graduating are sent instructions via email notification 1 month before graduating. Those who do not complete the counseling before graduating receive a follow-up notice after graduation. Holds are placed on student accounts 2-3 weeks after last day of class.  Students with a hold on their account not will be able to obtain an official academic transcript until the hold is removed by the Office of Financial Aid.

             Exit counseling is required of students who have not graduated and are not enrolled for the next academic semester, students who are registered less than half-time, or students who are expelled.   This same counseling is required even if the student plans to transfer to another institution.

Financial counseling is available to all students, not just students in the circumstances outlined above, and it can be completed at