Withdrawing from the University

Students who must withdraw from the University before the expiration of the semester or session for which they are enrolled must complete the official Withdrawal Form in the Registrar’s Office and secure the approval of the Business Office. University housing students must also secure the approval of the Dean of Students before withdrawing from the University.

The federal government mandates that students who withdraw from all classes may only keep the financial aid they have earned up to the time of withdrawal.  If a student withdraws or stops attending classes before 60% of a semester is completed, a portion of Title IV funds must be returned in accordance with U.S. Department of Education regulations.  In addition, if a student fails to earn a passing grade in at least one class during the semester, the student is deemed by the U.S. Department of Education to have unofficially withdrawn.  Title IV funds that were disbursed in excess of the earned amount must be returned by the University. This situation could result in the student owing aid funds to UMHB, government or both.

To determine the amount of aid the student has earned up to the time of withdrawal, the Bursar’s Office will do a Return of Title IV (R2T4) calculation. The Bursar’s Office will notify and provide instructions to students who are required to return funds to the government.  If the student disputes the withdrawal date used in this calculation, the student must provide evidence of participation in an academically related activity after 60% of the semester to avoid return of Title IV funds.

Students are encouraged to understand the financial impact  of withdrawal prior to completing the withdrawal process. The Bursar’s Office can assist the student in understanding this policy and the resulting financial impact.

In addition to federal aid returns, a student may be required to repay institutional aid funds to UMHB, based on tuition refund percentage, i.e. Students receiving 80% tuition refund will repay 80% of the institutional aid.)

Students should also be aware that as a recipient of financial assistance, they must comply with the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy. By withdrawing, a student, you may not be eligible for financial assistance from UMHB in the future, because you did not complete a specified number of credit hours for which aid was disbursed.



A student who withdraws is immediately eligible to apply for readmission except that:

1.            A student on academic suspension due to receipt of WQs for withdrawn courses cannot be readmitted until one Spring or Fall semester has passed; and

2.            A student may be disqualified for readmission for disciplinary reasons.