Registration Policy and Procedures

Registration is completed according to the procedures and time schedule published on the website at

Academic Advisement

Each student is assigned an academic advisor according to major. The advisor assists the student in making progress towards a degree. Prior to registering each semester, all students must obtain an advisor’s approval of their proposed schedules.

Dropping or Adding Courses (Schedule Change)

All dropping, adding, and changing courses must be arranged by the student through the Registrar’s Office in order to be considered official. A student wishing to drop or add a course must complete the schedule change (if prior to the start of the semester) through the UMHB online registration system accessible via MyCampus or (if on or after the start of the semester) by contacting the Registrar's Office in person or via email.  Schedule changes may not be conducted over the phone.  Students receiving VA benefits must also provide information on schedule changes to the UMHB VA Office.

Courses may be dropped as follows. Students should refer to the website for the exact dates of each drop period as these dates will vary:

  • The Pre-Census Period: If a course is dropped before or on the census date, no grade or record of the class will appear on the student’s transcript.
  • The “W” Period: If a course is dropped during the “W” Period, the class is recorded on the student’s transcript with a grade of “W”.
  • The “WP/WQ” Period: If a course is dropped during the “WP/WQ” Period, the class is recorded on the student’s transcript with a grade of “WP” or” WQ” as reported by the instructor.
  • No course may be dropped after the end of the “WP/WQ” Period.

Any student who stops attending a class but fails to officially drop the course through the Registrar’s Office will be given a failing grade in the class.

Repeating a Course

A student may repeat a course for the purpose of raising a grade by re-taking that course at UMHB. However, while the highest grade earned will be used to compute the grade point average, all grades will remain on the transcript. Re-taking courses at other institutions that were initially taken at UMHB may satisfy degree requirements but the UMHB course grade will remain on the transcript.

Audit Registration

A student may register for most courses by audit. However, laboratory courses, workshops, activity PE (EXSS) courses, and music ensembles may be audited only by approval of the instructor. An audit course may not be changed to a credit course nor may a credit course be changed to an audit course after the last day of registration for that particular course.

Withdrawal from the University

Students who must withdraw from the University before the expiration of the semester or session for which they are enrolled must complete the official Withdrawal Form in the Registrar’s Office and secure the approval of the Business Office. University housing students must also secure the approval of the Dean of Students before withdrawing from the University.

A student whose withdrawal is necessitated by illness or injury will be given three weeks within which to withdraw officially.

If you withdraw, you are immediately eligible to reapply for admission unless you are placed on academic suspension for this withdrawal semester due to receipt of WQs for withdrawn courses. In that circumstance, you would not be eligible to reapply for admission until a minimum of one “long” semester has passed.

Students experiencing a disruption in enrollment lasting longer than one academic year must reorganize their respective degree plan to conform with the current catalog.

Students who stop attending classes but fail to withdraw officially will be given failing grades in all courses.

Administrative Withdrawal

The university reserves the right to withdraw a student from classes and/or the university if the student’s account is delinquent or if such action is deemed in the best interest of the student and/or the university. Recorded grades will be W, WP, WQ, NC or F. The grade will depend on the time of withdrawal and the student’s grade at that time or the circumstances causing the withdrawal. Depending on the circumstances of the withdrawal, an application may be required for readmission.