Academic, Administrative, and Other Buildings
Allen House (Reading Camp) Allen International Junior College provided a donation towards the renovation of this house, which was home to the English as Second Language program (ESOL) for many years. Currently, the building is used as the campus Reading Camp for aspiring teachers.
Baugh Center for the Visual Arts houses classrooms, offices, and gallery space for the Department of Art. Constructed in 2012, its name honors the memory of Eula Mae and John Baugh, whose family foundation made the lead gift for the building.
Cornerstone Baptist Student Ministries This building was previously First Nazarene Church constructed in 1942. The building was purchased by the University in 2002 and completely renovated. It is now home to the BSM.
C.R. Clements Building was built in 1981, thanks to a gift from Mr. & Mrs. Kenneth Kirkpatrick in honor of Mr. C.R. Clements. The building was renovated in 2001 and today houses offices for the Development staff and the staff of Communications and Special Projects.
Davidson Educational Building was made possible through a gift from the estate of C.J. “Red” Davidson. Constructed in 1983, the complex provides classrooms, computer facilities, and office space for Computer Science and Engineering, English, and Modern Foreign Languages.
Frazier Center, built in 1960, houses offices for the faculty who teach in the Counseling graduate program.
Hardy Hall, named in honor of former president Dr. J.C. Hardy, contains a reception area, dining hall on the second floor, and classrooms and offices for the departments of Undergraduate Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Criminal Justice, ROTC and the Center for Academic Excellence. The building was constructed in 1929.
Heard Hall, This is the oldest building on campus. Constructed in 1919, it originally was used as a women’s residence hall from approximately 1919 to 1960. The building served as the administration building for a short time and currently houses academic offices.
Isabelle Rutherford Meyer Nursing Education Center was completed in 2012 and dedicated in February 2013. The building houses faculty offices, classrooms, and simulation laboratories for UMHB’s Scott & White College of Nursing. The lead gift for the building was contributed by the Paul and Jane Meyer Family Foundation, and the building is named for Paul Meyer’s mother, who during her lifetime worked as both a nurse and a teacher.
Mabee Student Center was made possible by a grant from the J.E. and L.E. Mabee Foundation. Built in 1973, it contains the bookstore, post office, Crusader Cafe, Student Life, student activities (Information Station), Lillian Shelton Theater, student publications offices, classrooms, and Robert and Linda Black Center for Counseling, Testing, and Health Services. The building was expanded in 1995, and Shelton Theater was renovated in 2003.
Parker Academic Center is a multi-purpose facility housing classrooms, offices, and student labs for the College of Education and College of Business. The facility was completed in the summer of 2002 and is named in honor of Dr. Bobby E. Parker, former President.
Parker House The house is named in honor of former president and chancellor Dr. Bobby E. Parker and his wife Marietta, by the donor, Mrs. JoAn Musick-Flowers. In 1989, the residence opened where the Parkers resided until Dr. Parker assumed the role of chancellor in 1991. Dr. Jerry Bawcom and his wife, Vicky, were the last president and first lady to live in the house. When Dr. Bawcom became chancellor in 2009 and moved to a home off campus, the house was remodeled and converted into an Alumni Center on the first floor and a museum on the second floor.
Paul and Jane Meyer Christian Studies Center was made possible by a gift from Paul and Jane Meyer and was completed in the summer of 2008. This building contains offices, classrooms, a library and a chapel for the College of Christian Studies.
President’s Home at 1032 University Drive was built in 2009 as campus home of the UMHB first family. Dr. Randy O’Rear and his wife, Julie, were the first president and first lady to live in the home.
Presser Fine Arts Building was made possible by a gift from the Presser Foundation and contains studios, practice rooms, and faculty offices for the Department of Music, as well as Hughes Recital Hall named in memory of J.K. and Annie Hughes. The building was constructed in 1929. The recital hall was refurbished in 1979 through a generous gift made by Raymond L. Dillard and Genevieve Hughes Dillard (Class of ’31).
Sanderford Administrative Complex, named in memory of the parents of T.E. Sanderford, was made possible by a substantial gift from Mr. and Mrs. T.E. Sanderford. Built in 1979, the complex houses the administrative offices of the university, including the Registrar’s Office, Admissions & Recruiting, and Financial Aid. Renovations to the building were made in 1997, and a two-story addition was completed in 2007.
The Digital Media Center, located at 207 W. 11th serves the campus with hardware for audio-visual instruction and duplication services.
Townsend Memorial Library, named for Dr. and Mrs. E.G. Townsend, contains approximately 150,000 volumes, including bound periodicals and microfilm, and receives over 4,500 current periodicals and newspapers. The fully automated library has access to the Internet, electronic journals, more than 3,500 of which are full-text, and numerous electronic databases. This building was constructed in 1961 and remodeled in 1994.
UMHB Community Life Center, located at 717 College Street, provides affordable counseling to those in Bell County who need counseling services.
Watkins Missionary Home is named for Sue Watkins, an alumna of Mary Hardin-Baylor. This building was remodeled in 2003, and now houses the Campus Police Department.
J.W. Williams Service Center is located on the northern edge of the campus, at 1 Industrial Park Road. The building is named for J.W. Williams, who served as maintenance supervisor for the campus 1936-41 and 1948-77. This facility houses offices and shops for the staff of the Physical Plant.
Wells Science Hall, named for former president Dr. E.H. Wells, was constructed in 1920. It is devoted to classrooms, laboratories, and offices for the Mathematics and Physics, undergraduate Psychology, and Social Work, Sociology and Criminal Justice departments. The building was renovated in 1996, 2001, and 2013.
W.W. Walton Chapel was completed in the spring of 1967. Named for donor W.W. Walton of Bartlett, the building serves as a chapel and auditorium. The Chapel was remodeled in 2003.
York House, located at 803 College St., houses the Office of International Student Services. The International Student Union meets there and hosts international events.
York Science Center, named in memory of longtime faculty member Dr. C.L. York, provides offices, classrooms, and laboratories for the Biology and Chemistry departments and contains the Anne Ammons Brindley Auditorium. The building was completed in 1996.
Andersen Field House was made possible by a gift from the Andersen Foundation and was opened in 1998. The facility combines state-of-the-art video and training facilities for the football program with offices for the football program staff.
Crusader Stadium was completed in 2013 as the first on-campus stadium for the Crusader football program. The facility was made possible through a lead gift from the family of Elizabeth and Drayton McLane, Jr. and is considered by many to be the finest stadium in NCAA Division III football.
Cummins Field House was named in honor of Chris and Cindy Cummins of College Station, Texas. The field house offers locker rooms, training and therapy areas, and showers and restroom facilities for the Crusader football program. Dedicated in 2013, Cummins Field House is located adjacent to Andersen Field House in the university SportsPlex.
Dee Dillon Softball Field was completed in 2004 as part of the university’s SportsPlex on Crusader Way. The field was named in honor of Dee Dillon, chairperson of the Health and Physical Education department at UMHB from 1954-1965.
Frank and Sue Mayborn Campus Center opened in January 2005. This 122,000-square-foot facility provides offices for coaches and the Exercise and Sport Science faculty, classrooms, a fitness center, a natatorium, an indoor jogging track, a 2500-seat multi-purpose special events center, and the Mabee-Farris recreation gymnasium.
Red Murff Baseball Field, located in the SportsPlex on Crusader Way, was completed in 2004. The field is named in honor of Red Murff, who helped start the baseball program at UMHB in the 1970s.
Beall Hall is an apartment style residential building hall made possible by and named for Mary and James Beall, which houses both males and females. This building was opened in 2000.
Burt Hall is a women’s residence hall made possible by a gift from Mr. and Mrs. R.E. Burt. The building was constructed in 1920 and remodeled in 1990 and 2001.
Farris Hall is a four-story complex which offers 163 apartments for students. The complex was built in 2011 and was named in honor of Martha White Farris (Class of 1942) of Floydada, Texas.
Garner Hall is a housing complex which offers 72 apartments for 141 men and women. The complex is named for John Hood Garner and Alleen Weatherford Garner, whose charitable trust made a key gift toward construction of the facility in 2010.
Gettys Memorial Hall is a men’s residence hall named for Dr. and Mrs. A.C. Gettys. The building was constructed in 1965 and renovated in 1991.
Johnson Hall is a women’s residence hall named for the mother of Lyndon Baines Johnson, former President of the United States. The building was constructed in 1968 and renovated in 1991.
McLane Hall is a men’s residence hall named for Mr. Drayton McLane, Jr., of Temple, a major benefactor. The building was completed in 1989 and was renovated in 2002.
Remschel Hall is a women’s residence hall named in honor of Corrine Remschel, a 1931 graduate. The building was completed in 1993 and was renovated in 2007.
Stribling Hall is a women’s residence hall named for the daughter of J.C. Stribling, whose gift made the building possible. The building was constructed in 1920 and renovated in 1990.
The name, Independence Village, pays tribute to the beginnings of the university’s history, which was founded in Independence, Texas as part of Baylor University. The complex, composed of apartment-style housing, was originally opened in 1996 and expanded in 1998, 2005, and 2010.
- Shannon Commons building, named for John H. Shannon, honorary member of the UMHB Alumni Association and late husband of Pat Lockridge Shannon, Class of 1953. The building was constructed in 2005.
- Clark Hall named for Dr. Horace Clark, principal of the Female Department of Baylor University and president of Baylor Female College, in 1871. This building was constructed in 1996.
- Ferguson Hall named for Miriam Amanda “Ma” Ferguson, a former student of the late 1800s and first woman governor of Texas. This building was constructed in 1996.
- Garner Hall named for the late John Hood Garner and Alleen Weatherford Garner, longtime residents of Belton. This building was constructed in 2010.
- Grover Hall named for the late O. Stanley and Blanche Grover, avid supporters and recruiters for the university. This building was constructed in 1996.
- Hobby Hall named for Oveta Culp Hobby, a former student of the early 1920s, a businesswoman and first commanding officer of the Women’s Army Corps. This building was constructed in 2005.
- James Hall named for the James family, which has maintained close ties with the university since 1885 by serving on the board of trustees, teaching, and attending the university. Eleanor James, Class of 1933, was the author of “Forth from Her Portals,” a history of the first 100 years of the university in Belton. This building was constructed in 1998.
- Provence Hall named for Sally A. Provence, a graduate of 1937 and former professor of pediatrics at Yale University. This building was constructed in 1998.
- Taylor Hall named for Mattie E. Taylor, a graduate of 1910 and former member of the board of trustees. This building was constructed in 1998.
- Tryon Hall named for William M. Tryon, one of the original founders of the university in 1845. This building was constructed in 1998.
- Tyson Hall named for Dr. Arthur K. Tyson, president of Mary Hardin-Baylor College from 1954 to 1966. This building was constructed in 2005.
- Wilson Hall named for William A. Wilson, president of Baylor Female College from 1896 to 1911. This building was constructed in 2005.
Points of Interest/Landmarks:
Allen International College Plaza
Baylor Academy Gazebo Plaza
Campus Boys Gazebo
Class of ’42-’46 People Place
Christ in the Garden Sculpture
Forth From Her Portals Sculpture
Fountain in Vann Circle
Intramural/Band Rehearsal Field
Luther Memorial/Old Baylor Bell Tower
Millennium Oaks Park
N.B. Moon Building (Bell Baptist Association)
Parker Prayer Garden
Senior Bell Plaza
Student Memorial in Millennium Oaks Park
York Sesquicentennial Plaza