Veterans and Family Members

The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor is fully approved to offer instruction to students attending college under the provisions of the United States Code, Title 38, Chapter 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607.

The University contacts for individuals planning to use Veterans Administration (VA) benefits are the Veterans’ Certifying Officials in the Registrar’s Office.

Veterans who have successfully completed basic training will be granted a PE Activity waiver (unless specific EXSS courses are required) after providing satisfactory documentation to the Registrar’s Office.

An individual planning to attend UMHB using VA benefits must comply with the following procedures:

  1. Complete all requirements for admission to the University as a degree seeking student or as a transient student with an approved formal degree plan from another university.
  2. Have an evaluation of service schools/experiences completed by the Registrar’s Office to determine any awarding of military credit.
  3. In coordination with an assigned academic advisor, register for only courses that are required for completion of your selected degree.
  4. Maintain satisfactory academic progress. The provisions found under the headings of “Scholastic Probation” and “Academic Suspension” in this catalog will apply.

Veterans will automatically be certified each semester unless they notify the Registrar’s Office in writing prior to the start of the specific semester.