Chapel Attendance Requirements
Students are advised to sign up for chapel the first semester they begin as a full time student. By doing this, scheduling conflicts later on may be avoided. Satisfactory chapel attendance requirements are as follows:
- Incoming Freshmen (or transfer students with less than thirty semester hour credits accepted by UMHB) must acquire four semesters of chapel credit at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor.
- Transfer Students
- Sophomores (students with thirty to fifty-nine semester hour credits accepted by UMHB) must acquire three semesters of chapel credit.
- Juniors (students with sixty to eighty-nine semester hour credits accepted by UMHB) must acquire two semesters of chapel credit.
- Seniors (students with ninety or more semester hour credits accepted by UMHB) must acquire one semester of chapel credit during the first semester of attendance at UMHB.
**Students who transfer from other Baptist institutions will be given credit for chapel according to the number of semesters for which they have credit on their transcript. Credit is not given for the number of chapels they were required to attend each week. It is given only for the number of semesters they attended chapel. For students who transfer from institutions other than Baptist who were required to attend chapel, credit will be given only after approval from the Dean of Students.
- Chapel attendance is mandatory. Three unexcused absences each semester are allowed and should be used for doctor‘s appointments or other health and family emergencies. An additional three unexcused absences may be made up in the Student Development Office before the last week of the semester.
- If attendance records indicate that a student did not attend the required number of chapels, or did not make up the absences, that student will receive a non-credit for chapel on the grade report for that semester. Students are responsible for making sure they have fulfilled all requirements for attendance and can check the records of attendance posted periodically in the chapel. These records are also kept in the Student Development Office. If a student feels that an error has been made, he/she has until the first two weeks of the following semester to question the accuracy of the records.
- Non-degree seeking students are not required to fulfill chapel requirements. Non-degree seeking students shall be defined as follows:
- Students entering UMHB on Non-Degree Admissions application form.
- Students entering UMHB with a Baccalaureate Degree seeking to obtain a teacher‘s certificate or course work to prepare for entry into a professional school, such as pre-law courses necessary to enter law school.
(Note: All students included here are not involved in course work requiring their graduation from UMHB or other college or university).
- Part-time students are to begin fulfilling chapel requirements the first semester they take twelve or more semester hours. They shall be expected to take chapel each semester thereafter, during which they are considered full-time students (not to exceed requirements as stated in sections A & B).
Alternative Chapel Request
Attendance at the regularly scheduled chapel is the most beneficial means of fulfilling chapel requirements. Because of this, only individuals with special situations will be given consideration for Alternative Chapel. Alternative Chapel requests must be approved by the Dean of Students. Alternative Chapel consists of two Saturday sessions during the semester. This totals approximately 15 hours, which is equivalent to regular chapel. Credit for these sessions is given only if the student attends both Saturdays for the entire length of the session. The cost for Alternative Chapel is $25. Any student desiring a chapel alternative must submit a Chapel Alternative Request Form no later than Friday, September 10, for the fall semester and Friday, January 21, for the spring semester. Forms can be picked up at the Student Development Office. These forms are to be turned in to the Student Development Office located on the third floor of the Mabee Student Center Possible chapel alternatives include:
- Audit advanced level religion course,
- Chapel Seminar,
- Nursing Alternative Chapel, or
- Project as determined by the Dean of Students.
Special consideration shall always be given to commuters not taking classes on Wednesday as confirmed by the Registrar, nursing students involved in clinical practice on chapel days as confirmed by the College of Nursing, and students involved in student teaching as confirmed by the College of Education.
Alternative Chapel Attendance Policy
Students taking Alternative Chapel must make every attempt to attend all required sessions. In case of emergency, arrangements should be made with the Dean of Students for a make-up of the time missed.
When a student registers for classes, he/she should register for chapel. Chapel attendance will be electronically recorded by scanning student identification cards. Direct any questions regarding chapel registration to the Student Development Office at (254)-295-4590.
Excused Absences from Chapel
Chapel absences will be excused for authorized field trips. A list of students participating will be presented to the Provost‘s Office by the faculty advisor. Requests for excused absences should be directed to the Dean of Students.