Applying for Admission

An applicant must submit:

  1. An application for admission with a $35 non-refundable fee.
  2. Official transcripts from each college previously attended sent directly from the granting institution to UMHB. Even though courses taken at one institution are noted on another college’s transcript, applicants must submit transcripts from the institution at which the courses were taken. Transcript evaluations will be completed after submission of an application to the Graduate School and the admission fee has been paid.
  3. Additional documentation may be required as part of the application fi le to meet program specific requirements.

Note: An official transcript is one that has been received directly from the issuing institution. It must bear the school seal, date, and an appropriate signature.

Admission Requirements

A student may be admitted to a UMHB Graduate Program in one of the following ways:

  1. Regular Admission
  2. Conditional Admission
  3. Probationary Admission
  4. Non-degree Admission
  5. Readmission
  6. Concurrent Enrollment

Regular Admission

An applicant must:

  1. Have completed a baccalaureate degree (or its equivalent) from a regionally accredited institution.
  2. Have completed a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution to apply for a doctoral level program.
  3. Have official transcripts from each college attended on fi le in the UMHB Graduate Admissions Office. (Only master’s level transcripts are required for a doctoral level program.)
  4. Have a cumulative and/or last 60 hours GPA of at least 2.75*
  5. Meet additional quantitative and qualitative standards of the program to which the applicant is requesting admission (i.e., GRE scores or in some programs, GMAT scores or other nationally recognized aptitude test may be considered).

    *exceptions may be granted for 2.50 – 2.74 GPA under certain circumstances with approval from the Dean of the Graduate School.

Note: A GRE, GMAT or other nationally recognized aptitude test score is valid for five years.

Conditional Admission

An applicant must meet the admission criteria for Regular Admission (additional documentation may be required by the program to which the application is made). A student so admitted must have completed documentation on fi le in the department and in the university Graduate Admissions Office by the date stated by the Graduate Admissions Office. Students failing to complete the documentation requirement will not be allowed to register for the next semester, and transcripts will be placed on hold.

Probationary Admission

After official transcripts and program documentation are received, an applicant not meeting the university standards may be admitted if he/she shows evidence of an ability to successfully participate in graduate study as determined by the graduate program to which he/she is applying. Students admitted on probation must have a strong departmental/program recommendation. A probationary status student may take no more than nine hours of graduate work during any semester of attendance until the probationary status has been removed. Students enrolled in graduate programs consisting of 2-hour courses may only enroll in eight hours of graduate work during this time. If grades of “B” or better are earned for the nine hours, the probationary status will be removed. Failure to make those grades will result in academic dismissal from the graduate program.

Non-Degree Admission

A non-degree student may be permitted to take up to six hours of graduate credit with the recommendation of the appropriate department. Such students must provide official transcripts from the institution(s) granting their bachelor’s degree(s) or later degree(s). If students admitted on non-degree status wish to continue beyond the six hours, they must apply for admission as a student seeking a degree or certification and must meet all requirements for graduate admission.

Students who have completed a master’s degree and who wish to take courses to meet qualifications for State licensures or certifications may also be permitted to take courses as non-degree students. These non-degree students may take more than six hours if a deficiency plan, signed by the specific program director, has been completed and is on fi le in the Graduate Admission’s Office.

Non-degree students are not eligible for institutional financial aid.


Unless a waiver is obtained from the Dean of the Graduate School, a former student who has not been enrolled in graduate courses at UMHB for two consecutive semesters (excluding summer) must apply for readmission to the Graduate School and to the graduate program he/she wishes to pursue. Resubmission of transcript(s) is not required, however the application fee must be resubmitted.

Concurrent Enrollment

A senior undergraduate student who has an overall GPA of 3.00 or higher and who lacks twelve or fewer hours toward graduation may enroll for six or fewer graduate hours with submission of a graduate application and acceptance into the graduate program and approval of the graduate program director. At no time may an undergraduate student be enrolled in graduate classes without also being enrolled in undergraduate classes. Petition for any exceptions must be made through the Dean of the Graduate School.


To register for classes a student must obtain an advising slip and/or registration clearance from his/her program advisor.

Denial of Admission

The university reserves the right to deny admission to an applicant for any lawful reason, including cases where the applicant’s admission, in the sole opinion of the graduate program faculty committee, would not serve the best interests of the applicant, the graduate program, or the professional community. Because of the limited number of openings for admission to graduate programs, the university also may consider, based upon an applicant’s record, the probability that the applicant will successfully complete the program.

Admission to Doctor of Education Program

For additional requirements for admission to the Ed.D. program, see page 68 of this catalog.

Admission of International Students

Note: All forms must be completed in English.

      All monies must be in U.S. dollars.


All International Students applying for Admission to the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor must:

  1. Submit completed International Application form. All items must be completed.
  2. All international students are required to complete a Medical History form.
  3. Vaccinations and TB Tests: Effective January 2, 2012, the State of Texas requires all first-time students &/or transfer students who are 29 years or younger to receive a vaccination for Bacterial Meningitis. The vaccine must be obtained within five years preceding enrollment or a booster is required. Written evidence of vaccination must be submitted to UMHB. A student must receive vaccination or booster at least 10 days prior to the first of class or moving into campus housing, whichever is first (Texas Education Code, §51.9192, Subchapter Z).
  4. If student is from a country identified as “TB high-risk” by the World Health Organization, the student must submit validation of a negative TB skin test &/or report of negative (normal) chest x-ray before attending any classes. The validation must be current within 6 months of initial enrollment.
  5. Submit a notarized Affidavit of Educational Support (I-134) showing the availability of funds to finance student’s education and transportation both to school and back to student’s home country. A signed letter of support may be substituted for the affidavit. The letter should state the relationship of the sponsor to the applicant and specify exactly what expenses are covered. Documentation is required. All money amounts must be stated in U.S. dollars.
  6. Submit official transcripts or diplomas from all schools, colleges, and universities previously attended. If the student has attended United States colleges/universities, the official transcripts must be mailed directly to the Admissions Office. All transcripts, certificates, or diplomas from institutions outside the United States must be sent to an approved evaluation service for a course by course evaluation before registration. A copy of the results should be sent directly to University of Mary Hardin-Baylor from the evaluation service.
  7. Submit a copy of the passport identification page. Passport must show validity at least 6 months from the expected date of enrollment.
  8. Submit the following fees (in U.S. dollars): $135 Application Fee (Not refundable)

When all of the above items have been received from the student, action will be taken by the Office of International Student Services. An I-20 form cannot be issued until the student has been accepted by the University.

The University reserves the right to change prices.

General Academic Requirements

Students who are seeking a master’s degree, doctoral degree, licensure, or certification in an approved program offered by Mary Hardin-Baylor will be considered for admission. Students will be allowed to continue in enrollment only if they maintain good academic progress. Students are not required to submit a TOELFL or IELTS score, but all students will be tested for English proficiency upon arrival. At the discretion of UMHB, students not meeting minimum standards may be enrolled in additional English as Second Language classes.


This U.S. Immigration Student Eligibility form will be issued only after all conditions of the application process have been met. Mary Hardin-Baylor is an academic school, and no I-20 will be issued to any student for the sole purpose of aiding the student in avoiding military service in his/her home country.


The major international airport serving Central Texas is the Dallas/Fort-Worth International Airport. Commuter flights are available from this international airport to the local airports in Killeen (30 miles from campus) and Austin (50 miles from campus). Cab transportation may be obtained at the airports. Bus transportation to Belton is another option.


Students are encouraged to carry travelers checks or cashier’s checks. Money may be deposited in a local bank. Advanced fees, tuition, and room and board must be paid in U.S. dollars or negotiable instruments.

Payment of Accounts

The advance deposit serves as payment for the first semester a student enrolls. All international students must preregister for any succeeding semester, and their account must be paid in full by the close of business on the Friday after the normal registration period. Failure of the student to pay will result in the student not being allowed to register. If this should happen, both the U.S. Immigration Service and the consulate of the student’s home country will be notified.

English Competency

International students applying to graduate programs are eligible for ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes. Students may submit a TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper test), 225 (computer test), or 80 (iBT) in order to enter regular academic classes. Students submitting IELTS scores of at least 6 in each category may enter regular academic classes. Students who do not meet these testing requirements will be enrolled in ESOL classes before beginning the graduate program.

Mail all Correspondence to:

University of Mary Hardin-Baylor

Director of International Student Services

UMHB Box 8367

900 College Street

Belton, Texas 76513